The Department of Mechanical Engineering is one of the best in the Institute. Its highly qualified and experienced faculty works with dedication and motivation. The department keeps in mind the ever changing challenges of modern day industry and its commitment to produce knowledgeable and responsible Mechanical Engineers, fully aware of the tasks ahead. This department aims at providing basic knowledge in Mechanical Engineering along with in-depth knowledge in the design of mechanical components and machines, production engineering, techniques of management, computer programming, numerical analysis and CAD / CAM.
The lab and workshop facilities in the department are as under: Material Testing lab, Applied Mechanics and dynamics Lab, Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer Lab, Thermal Engineering and IC Engine Lab, Metrology and Mechanical Measurement Lab and CAD / CAM Lab.
The Association of Mechanical Engineering has been regularly conducting Seminars and guest lectures by eminent personalities in various fields of Mechanical Engineering.
Mr. Raghav Singh Dhaker
Head of Department
“The objective of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives”
Robert Maynard Hutchins
Taking a cue from above saying by Robert Maynard Hutchins, Department of Mechanical Engineering is working towards inculcating learning habits in students that will remain with them throughout their life. In today`s world industrial environment is characterized by skilled manpower, use of advanced technologies and effective implementation of training in various sectors such as Automobiles, fabrication, power, design & testing.
Department of Mechanical Engineering with present intake of 90 in B. Tech. has been established in 2004. A short visit is sufficient to show strengths of department in terms of well equipped laboratories and highly qualified faculties (especially from NIT`s and IIT`s), the two basic requirements for achieving excellence. The department has a very dedicated and experienced faculty. Faculty strength is as per AICTE norms and all of them are post graduates in their respective fields.
Number of student’s projects find place in newspapers every year. Department lays emphasis on total personality development through industrial training, visits and extra curricular activities. Students are encouraged for participation in National and International level competitions. For up gradation of knowledge and enhancement of research capabilities, faculty regularly participate in training programs, conferences and staff development programs.
Mechanical Engineering finds application in all fields of technology. It is one of the primitive branches of Engineering which have remained always in demand and continue to be in the future. Mechanical engineers have always been needed as an essential staff personnel in various industries of both public and private sector. Their work criteria changes according to the type and domain of the company they are working with. As the Industrial sector has drastically risen in pace, the need for more mechanical engineers has increased exponentially. Every manufacturing and production industry needs mechanical engineers to carry out jobs efficiently and flawlessly for their companies.
One of the oldest and broadest engineering branches, Mechanical Engineering involves designing, development, production and use of mechanical tools to solve mechanical issues. Generally hired by manufacturing industries, these engineers have employment opportunity in both private and public sectors. Government sectors like Defence, PWD, Post and Telegraphs, and CPWD also hire the mechanical engineers. They also have equal opportunities outside India.-Course available
To hold a degree in Mechanical Engineering, the candidate needs to crack IIT JEE (previously known as AIEEE) and RPET exam. Upon cracking this competitive entrance test, students can apply for following courses to pursue their dream career.
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- M.Tech. in Production Engineering
In order to be appointed by a big firm, aspirants should hold B. Tech/M.Tech.degree in Mechanical Engineering. A master degree holder earns good money and generally hired on relatively higher designation.
Any person with a degree in Mechanical Engineering can find various job opportunities in administrative and managerial positions in public and private firms. They can also be involved in researching or teaching.
- Research and Development (R&D)
- Production, Design Engineering
- Analysis and Testing Engineering
- Installation and Maintenance Engineering
REQUIRED SKILL SET TO GET HIRED FASTER
- Get a post graduate degree in this field for better salary and designation
- Computer knowledge is a must.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill are required
Mechanical engineers are hugely demanded in both India and abroad. The growth is in this industry, in fact increasing, as more and more people are showing interest in this field. As per a survey report, ample growth is registered in this industry and it is said that by 2015 Mechanical Engineering will be the highest paid career option.
Mechanical Engineers can work in thermal power industry, gas turbines industry, air conditioning and refrigeration industry, oil and gas exploration and refining industries, agricultural sector, educational sector, aviation companies, shipping industries, aerospace industry, armed forces, pharmaceutical, automobile industry and many others.
Students can also go for a teaching career after mechanical engineering. This will include teaching subjects in mechanical engineering in top engineering colleges of India. The pay package is good for professors of this branch of engineering.
A Mechanical Engineer is generally expected to fulfill the following duties.
- Designing and implementing economical equipment modifications to improve safety and reliability.
- Creating project specifications with team mates.
- Developing, designing, testing etc.
- Project management
- Monitoring and commissioning plant and systems.
The typical salary range of a Mechanical Engineer range between INR 10,000 and INR 30, 000/- However, the salary differs as per the location, industry type, company level. If you are hired by a Multinational Company, you can expect high salary package. Similarly, good campus placements also fetch better salary packages.
Additionally, some companies offer salary on the basis of your skills, experience, expertise and the nature of roles and responsibilities handled previously. Generally, highly skilled and professional mechanical engineers can bag as high as an annual CTC of INR 40,000-45,000.
PEOs & POs
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES(PEOS):-
PEO 1 : To provide the ability to identify, formulate, solve and analyze complex mechanical engineering problems with a strong foundation in the field of engineering, basic sciences and mathematics that are technically sound and socially acceptable.
PEO 2 : To develop depth, breadth knowledge in the field of mechanical engineering serving as the foundation for lifelong learning, professional growth and higher studies.
PEO 3 : To promote Design, Research and implementation of products and services in the field of mechanical Engineering to exhibit Entrepreneurial Skills or succeed in the industry.
PEO 4 : To provide the ability of using computer aided design and manufacturing related to thecore and multidisciplinary area to expand their knowledge with experimental practices.
PEO 5 : To provide the opportunity to work in team, exhibit professonalism, communication skill and ethical attitude.
PO 1 : Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering for the solution of Mechanical engineering problems.
PO 2 : Ability to formulate and analyze complex mechanical engineering problems.
PO 3 : Ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, and public health.
PO 4: Ability to design and conduct experiments, and to analyze and interpret data.
PO 5 : Ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools like CAD/CAM which is necessary for mechanical engineering practice.
PO 6 : Ability to include social, cultural, ethical issues with engineering solutions.
PO 7 : Ability to consider the impact of engineering solutions on environment and the need for sustainable development.
PO 8 : Ability to function effectively on multidisciplinary teams to accomplish a common goal.
PO 9 : Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms.
PO 10:Knowledge and understanding of principles of management and finance in relation to engineering projects.
PO 11: Ability to embrace the technological changes and the need for independent life-long learning.
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS (SOM) LAB
- A universal testing machine (UTM), also known as a universal tester, materials testing machine or materials test frame, is used to test the tensile strength and compressive strength of materials.
- Brinnel hardness machine is used to test the indentation hardness of materials through the scale of penetration of an indenter, loaded on a material test-piece.
- Spring testing machine enable load deflection tests of tension and compression springs to be carried out accurately and quickly.
- Izod testing machine are used to measure the energy absorbing capacity of the material subjected to sudden loading; but also to determine the transition temperature from ductile to brittle behaviour.
HEAT TRANSFER LAB (H.T.)
- A heat exchanger is a piece of equipment built for efficient heat transfer from one medium to another. The media may be separated by a solid wall to prevent mixing or they may be in direct contact.
- A muffle furnace is a furnace in which the subject material is isolated from the fuel and all of the products of combustion including gases and flying ash.
- The optical microscope is the principal tool used to characterize the internal grain structure of steel. Traditionally, the structure revealed by the microscope is called the microstructure. The mechanical properties of a given steel are strongly influenced by its microstructure.
The CNC laboratory aims to enhance the students knowledge in development of practical CAD models and provides exposure to the latest hardware and software which will prove indispensable in industry. The CNC laboratory offers an academic experience necessary for the development of a mechanical engineer pursuing further studies and a career in Manufacturing area.
TURBO MACHINERY LAB
The Kaplan turbine is an inward flow reaction turbine, which means that the working fluid changes pressure as it moves through the turbine and gives up its energy. Power is recovered from both the hydrostatic head and from the kinetic energy of the flowing water. The design combines features of radial and axial turbines.
Pelton wheels are the preferred turbine for hydro-power, when the available water source has relatively high hydraulic head at low flow rates, where the Pelton wheel is most efficient.
The Francis turbine is a type of reaction turbine, a category of turbine in which the working fluid comes to the turbine under immense pressure and the energy is extracted by the turbine blades from the working fluid.
DYNAMICS OF MACHINE (DOM)
- Journal Bearing Apparatus is used to study the pressure profile of lubricating oil at various conditions of load and speed, plotting the Cartesian polar pressure curves and to measure the frictional torque and power transmit.
- The trifilar suspension is used to determine the moments of inertia of a body about an axis passing through its mass centre.
- Vibration Testing and Shaker Testing are used in the laboratory or production floor for a variety of things, including qualifying products during design, meeting standards, regulatory qualifications , fatigue testing, screening products, and evaluating performance.
BASIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING BME
- Able to perform experiments on 2-stroke and 4-stroke petrol and diesel engine.
- Able to perform experiments on refrigerators and air-conditioner.
- Able to perform experiments on various types of boilers.
Head of Department
Mr. Raghav Singh Dhaker
Mr. Sharad Srivastava