STRENGTH OF MATERIALS (SOM) LAB
- A universal testing machine (UTM), also known as a universal tester, materials testing machine or materials test frame, is used to test the tensile strength and compressive strength of materials.
- Brinnel hardness machine is used to test the indentation hardness of materials through the scale of penetration of an indenter, loaded on a material test-piece.
- Spring testing machine enable load deflection tests of tension and compression springs to be carried out accurately and quickly.
- Izod testing machine are used to measure the energy absorbing capacity of the material subjected to sudden loading; but also to determine the transition temperature from ductile to brittle behaviour.
HEAT TRANSFER LAB (H.T.)
- A heat exchanger is a piece of equipment built for efficient heat transfer from one medium to another. The media may be separated by a solid wall to prevent mixing or they may be in direct contact.
- A muffle furnace is a furnace in which the subject material is isolated from the fuel and all of the products of combustion including gases and flying ash.
- The optical microscope is the principal tool used to characterize the internal grain structure of steel. Traditionally, the structure revealed by the microscope is called the microstructure. The mechanical properties of a given steel are strongly influenced by its microstructure.
The CNC laboratory aims to enhance the students knowledge in development of practical CAD models and provides exposure to the latest hardware and software which will prove indispensable in industry. The CNC laboratory offers an academic experience necessary for the development of a mechanical engineer pursuing further studies and a career in Manufacturing area.
TURBO MACHINERY LAB
The Kaplan turbine is an inward flow reaction turbine, which means that the working fluid changes pressure as it moves through the turbine and gives up its energy. Power is recovered from both the hydrostatic head and from the kinetic energy of the flowing water. The design combines features of radial and axial turbines.
Pelton wheels are the preferred turbine for hydro-power, when the available water source has relatively high hydraulic head at low flow rates, where the Pelton wheel is most efficient.
The Francis turbine is a type of reaction turbine, a category of turbine in which the working fluid comes to the turbine under immense pressure and the energy is extracted by the turbine blades from the working fluid.
DYNAMICS OF MACHINE (DOM)
- Journal Bearing Apparatus is used to study the pressure profile of lubricating oil at various conditions of load and speed, plotting the Cartesian polar pressure curves and to measure the frictional torque and power transmit.
- The trifilar suspension is used to determine the moments of inertia of a body about an axis passing through its mass centre.
- Vibration Testing and Shaker Testing are used in the laboratory or production floor for a variety of things, including qualifying products during design, meeting standards, regulatory qualifications , fatigue testing, screening products, and evaluating performance.
BASIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING BME
- Able to perform experiments on 2-stroke and 4-stroke petrol and diesel engine.
- Able to perform experiments on refrigerators and air-conditioner.
- Able to perform experiments on various types of boilers.